D.C. Man Indicted in Bus Stop Crowd Shooting

Prosecutors say five people were wounded after a confrontation that began on a Metrobus.

WASHINGTON, DC — An 18-year-old D.C. man has been indicted on 69 charges after prosecutors said he fired into a crowd at a Northwest bus stop in January, wounding five people after a confrontation involving a juvenile girl on a Metrobus.

Anthony Del Cid-Morales, of the District, faces charges including assault with intent to kill while armed, possession of a firearm during a crime of violence and aggravated assault while armed. Prosecutors said the indictment also includes several enhancements tied to crimes of violence against Metro Transit passengers. The case now moves toward a detention hearing scheduled for July 10 before Superior Court Judge Jason Park.

The shooting happened Jan. 22 at about 5:40 p.m. near 16th Street NW and Missouri Avenue NW, according to prosecutors. They said Del Cid-Morales sexually assaulted a juvenile victim on a bus, leading to a physical altercation. When the bus reached a stop a short time later, the juvenile and her friends got off through the rear door. Prosecutors said Del Cid-Morales left through the front door, drew a handgun, racked the slide and fired five rounds into a crowd of more than 15 people. Interim Metropolitan Police Chief Jeffery Carroll later said the violence followed a dispute on a packed bus and at a busy stop. “This is not the way we resolve disputes,” Carroll said.

Five people were struck by gunfire and survived with minor injuries, prosecutors said. Three of the victims had been with the juvenile victim on the bus. One person was waiting at the bus stop to go home, and another was taking an evening walk. Police initially said the wounded included two juveniles and three adults. Investigators said Del Cid-Morales fled on foot after the shooting. Authorities did not report a fatality, and no further injuries were listed in the indictment announcement. Officials have not said in public filings whether the gun was recovered, whether Del Cid-Morales knew all the people who were hit or how long investigators tracked him before his arrest.

The shooting drew attention because it began on public transit and spilled into a crowded street area during the evening commute. The stop is in Northwest Washington, near major roadways and bus routes used by students, workers and neighborhood residents. On the night of the shooting, police said the first information pointed to an argument on a bus that escalated into gunfire. At that time, no arrest had been announced, and investigators had not released a public description of the shooter. The later indictment gave a fuller account, tying the shooting to the alleged assault of the juvenile girl and the moments after the bus doors opened.

The case is being investigated by the Metropolitan Police Department, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives’ Washington Field Office and ATF’s National Integrated Ballistic Information Network. U.S. Attorney Jeanine Ferris Pirro announced the indictment with ATF Special Agent in Charge Anthony Spotswood and Carroll. Del Cid-Morales is presumed innocent unless proven guilty in court. The next major step is the July 10 detention hearing, where the court is expected to address whether he remains held while the case proceeds. Prosecutors also are expected to continue laying out evidence tied to the firearm, the bus, the victims and the shooting scene.

Passengers described fear and confusion in the moments after the shots. Bethany Allen, a bus passenger interviewed by 7News, said people inside the bus heard screaming and crying after the gunfire. “I started hearing young women screaming and crying, and it was clear some people had been shot,” Allen said. Carroll said the shooting showed the danger of illegal guns being used to settle disputes. Metro General Manager Randy Clarke said operators are trained to act in the safest way for themselves and passengers. The account from witnesses and officials placed the shooting within seconds of a bus stop becoming a crime scene.

Del Cid-Morales remains charged in D.C. Superior Court under case number 2026 CF1 007691. The indictment was announced May 22, four months after the Jan. 22 shooting. His detention hearing is set for July 10.

Author note: Last updated May 24, 2026.