Dad dies after placing exploding fireworks on his head

SUMMERVILLE, SC – A Fourth of July celebration ended in tragedy when a South Carolina man was killed after a firework he lit and placed onto his head exploded. Allen Ray McGrew, 41, was reportedly entertaining neighbors with a fireworks display in Summerville when the incident occurred.

According to witness accounts that were shared with the Dorchester County Sheriff’s Office, McGrew was killed from severe head injuries resulting from the detonation of a large firework he had lit and bizarrely positioned on his head around 10:30 PM. Mr. McGrew’s wife, Paige, told deputies that her husband was likely trying to “show off” during the neighborhood party despite family members pleading with him to stop.

Paige McGrew remembered her husband, who was often the life of the party, as a “genuine, good person” who “loved life”. She said that Allen, an HVAC worker, was both hardworking and fun-loving.

Allen had a deep appreciation for the Fourth of July and even donned a new Uncle Sam costume for the occasion.

Despite the festive atmosphere, reports indicate that Mr. McGrew had been drinking for a few hours leading up to the fatal incident. Regrettably, he died at the scene from the sustained injuries.