Kevin McCarthy, dad killed in Highland Park Fourth of July massacre, died protecting young son – Chicago Sun-Times
Kevin McCarthy shielded his son Aiden with his body when he was shot during the Highland Park Fourth of July Parade, according to Aiden’s grandfather.
Aiden’s paternal grandmother Margo McCarthy was struck in the neck and an ear and treated for her injuries. Her son was struck in the femoral artery while protecting his child, and he was fatally wounded.
A GoFundMe page was set up to help the little boy, who will be cared for by his loving family and will have a long road ahead to heal.
The McCarthys had been looking forward to the parade with Aiden, Levberg said. Kevin McCarthy is also survived by his father Michael and sister Katie, Kersten said.
Three of the four others who died in the parade massacre were identified by Lake County Coroner Jennifer Banek.
Jacqueline Sundheim, 63, a preschool teacher, was among those killed Monday in the attack. She had attended the synagogue her whole life and worked there for decades.
Savannah, a two-year-old toddler, was shot and killed by the 21-year-old man who legally purchased a rifle and opened fire on a parade. Savannah’s mother is urging other parents and people to do more to stop gun violence.
For more information on this massacre, check out the news outlets listed below.
- Kevin McCarthy, dad killed in Highland Park Fourth of July massacre, died protecting young son Chicago Sun-Times
- ‘No More Running’: Mother Describes How Toddler Reacted To Highland Park Mass Shooting NBC News
- Alleged gunman in Highland Park parade massacre confessed to killings, contemplated another attack in Madison, police say Yahoo News
- Column: Highland Park parade tragedy ups the nation’s body count Chicago Tribune
- The ‘terror’ in Highland Park: The US is exceptional, indeed Al Jazeera English
- View Full Coverage on Google News