Deputy fatally shot while responding to domestic disturbance call

SPALDING COUNTY, GA – A deputy from the Spalding County Sheriff’s office tragically lost his life on Friday while attending to a domestic disturbance and welfare check call. Sergeant Marc McIntyre fell victim to a fatal shooting during the incident.

Having offered dedicated service for around 12 years in the Spalding County Sheriff’s Office, McIntyre was identified as the fallen officer around 11 p.m. McIntyre’s service journey began as a detention officer in 2015. His unwavering commitment saw him becoming a uniformed patrol deputy two years later in 2017.

Describing McIntyre’s diligent work graph, Sheriff Darrell Dix said that the officer efficiently climbed the ladder, from becoming part of the SWAT to being appointed as shift supervisor before the ill-fated December 29 attack. In a tragic turn of events, McIntyre was shot in the head while a fellow deputy had to take shelter and returned fire. Additional officers coming to the location managed to evacuate McIntyre for emergency medical treatment; however, he later succumbed to his grave head injury.

Reacting to the heartbreaking incident, Sheriff Dix conveyed the emotional distress it brought on the entire staff of deputies who had worked under McIntyre. Describing McIntyre as a friendly personality, Dix depicted the deceased deputy as someone who brought vibrancy into any room he walked into and commanded the love and respect of his colleagues on his shift.

Jumping back into McIntyre’s past, Dix shared that the deputy was a combat veteran who had possibly served in the Iraq Army, adding that he was a leading example for others.

As a mark of solemn tribute to McIntyre, a vigil has been scheduled at the sheriff’s office located at 401 Justice Blvd. for 6 p.m. on Saturday. People will pay their respects through lighting candles, prayers, and a communal walk across the street.

As per the details of the tragic incident, a 911 call reporting a domestic disturbance situation brought Sgt. Marc McIntyre and another deputy to a Griffin home. The suspect, identified as 57-year-old military veteran Todd Harper, ambushed them from a window with shotgun fire as they were entering the yard, thereby causing the fatal injury to McIntyre and a broken hand injury to the second deputy.