Eight children hospitalized after eating cannabis-infused candy at Boys & Girls Club

LAUDERHILL, FL – A group of children were hospitalized on Wednesday after consuming candy that resulted in severe illness. The incident occurred at the Boys & Girls Club in Lauderhill, where local police were called to the scene three times between 3:30 p.m. and 6 p.m. The candy consumed by the children was reportedly laced with an unidentified substance.

All eight children, aged between six and eight, have since been discharged from the hospital after receiving medical treatment. The police have assured that the children are expected to make a full recovery with no long-term health implications. A representative from the Boys & Girls Club revealed that the candy was brought into the club by a young member. The candy was identified as cannabis-infused gummy candies, which the child shared with other members.

Dr. Cohen, a pediatrician, highlighted the increasing issue of children bringing such substances from home to share with friends, leading to intoxication. The American Academy of Pediatrics has released reports that indicate a significant increase in cases of children under six ingesting edible cannabis, from 207 cases in 2017 to 3,054 in 2021, marking an increase of over 1,375%.

Dr. Cohen emphasized the importance of storing such substances out of children’s reach, similar to other medications. She also urged parents to educate their children about the potential dangers of consuming unknown substances.

The Boys and Girls Club of Broward County has also issued a statement in connection to the incident. They reaffirmed their commitment to the safety and well-being of the children they serve. The Lauderhill Police Department is currently investigating the incident, with no charges pending at this time.