Stepmom charged with beating 8-year-old to death with rolling pin

GWINNETT COUNTY, GA – An indictment has been returned against a father and stepmother, charging them with the murder of an 8-year-old girl earlier this year. The authorities allege that the stepmother beat the girl using a wooden rolling pin. This incident was announced on Friday morning by Gwinnett District Attorney Patsy Austin-Gatson.

The father, 37-year-old Cledir Barros, and stepmother, 34-year-old Natiela Barros, are charged with the murder of young Sayra Barros. Authorities reveal that the cause of the fatal beating was the victim’s perceived misbehavior in her alleged preference to play with her toast during breakfast rather than engage in schoolwork.

Accused Natiela Barros’ charges include malice murder, two counts of felony murder, aggravated assault, and cruelty to children. The father, Cledir Barros, faces charges of second-degree murder in addition to two counts of cruelty to children.

Austin-Gatson stated that as parents, the primary responsibility of the accused was to ensure the safety and welfare of Sayra Barros. She expressed that no child deserves such brutal treatment and that her team would take rigorous measures to ensure that justice is served.

Arrest warrants claim that Natiela repeatedly struck Sayra in anger up to 20 times, with blows delivered to multiple areas, including her neck. It is alleged she then denied the child medical remedy, a refusal believed to have inevitably led to Sayra’s death.

Details about the incident were provided via a news release, where the District Attorney explained the events leading to Sayra’s death. She narrates that the violence commenced after Natiela discovered Sayra was not focused on her schoolwork. The accused stepmother retrieved a rolling pin and allegedly hit the minor repeatedly until she collapsed.

According to the release, Natiela stopped the beating once she felt that she had escalated the situation too far.

The girl’s father, Cledir Barros, upon receiving a call from Natiela, asked her to pray and then returned home. Instead of immediately calling for emergency assistance, he allegedly prayed over his unconscious daughter for several minutes before finally alerting 911.

Emergency services pronounced Sayra dead at the scene when they arrived, as stated by officials earlier in January.