Ten shooting incidents during Fourth of July leave 11 shot, 2 dead in NYC

Gun violence erupted in New York City as the Fourth of July holiday came to a close, leaving eleven people shot and two dead in a series of incidents. The fatal shootings included an 18-year-old man and a 30-year-old man, while two women were also injured in separate incidents in Brooklyn and East Harlem.

Five of the shootings occurred in the Bronx, prompting the NYPD to initiate a “level four mobilization” in response to the recent surge in gun violence in the borough. This mobilization involved dispatching one radio car from each of the city’s 77 precincts to the Bronx. The last time such a measure was taken was in 2020 during the widespread looting that followed the protests over George Floyd’s death. The NYPD has historically employed this action during significant crises, including the September 11 terror attacks and the Washington Heights riots in 1992.

Among the victims was an 18-year-old man who was shot on Morris Avenue in the Bronx, accompanied by a 19-year-old who sustained injuries in the same incident. Mayor Eric Adams arrived at the scene to support the police investigation. In Upper Manhattan, a 30-year-old man was fatally shot. Additionally, two women, aged 21 and 20, were wounded in separate incidents in Brooklyn and East Harlem.

The violence began around 12:40 a.m. when a 34-year-old man was shot in the leg in the Throggs Neck section of the Bronx. He sought medical attention at Westchester Square Hospital and was listed in stable condition. Approximately 20 minutes later, a 36-year-old man was shot in the leg and buttocks in the same neighborhood. He initially went to Montefiore Medical Center but was later transferred to Jacobi Medical Center, also in stable condition. It remains unclear whether these two shootings are connected.

At around 1:30 a.m., a 20-year-old woman was shot in Brownsville, Brooklyn, at the intersection of Bristol Street and Livonia Avenue. She was taken to Brookdale University Hospital and Medical Center in stable condition. The motive behind the shooting is currently under investigation. Shortly after, a 30-year-old man was shot in the face in Inwood, upper Manhattan. The connection between these two shootings is yet to be determined.

In Brownsville, Brooklyn, a 20-year-old man was shot in the right leg on Chester Street near Dumont Avenue around 2:20 a.m. He was transported to Brookdale University Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. Simultaneously, another fatal shooting occurred on Morris Avenue near East 182nd Street in the Fordham Heights section of the Bronx. Two male teenagers, aged 18 and 19, were shot, with the younger teen succumbing to his injuries at St. Barnabas Hospital. The older teen was listed in stable condition at the same hospital. Two individuals of interest were apprehended but not immediately charged.

Investigations are ongoing to determine the motives and connections behind these incidents.