1 swimmer found dead, 1 missing after jump off ‘Jaws’ bridge – WCVB Boston
Police received a call around 11 p.m. Sunday reporting that a group of swimmers had jumped off the bridge. However, during their swim there was a life-threatening complication.
The caller began alerting police to “swimmers in distress.” One of the men was found at early the following morning around 6:20 a.m. The search radius for the two missing swimmers included all of Sengekontacket Pond and stretched several miles offshore.
The 26-year-old swimmer was the first to be pulled from the water, and he was found dead. A search for his missing 21-year-old brother continued throughout the day. However, the search was suspended “pending further developments” around 3 p.m.
— USCGNortheast (@USCGNortheast) August 15, 2022
Massachusetts State Police said that a marine unit and dive team were continuing to conduct search operations on the ocean side of the bridge. A Coast Guard cutter will also remain offshore until later this afternoon or evening.
This is not the first life-threatening incident to occur near the infamous bridge featured in the ‘Jaws’ movie. A man jumped off the American Legion Memorial Bridge last summer, suffering a serious neck injury. Rescue teams had been previously spotted conducting emergency safety training in the water near the bridge to be prepared for future incidents.
To learn more about this story, please consider the news outlets listed below to stay in the know.
- 1 swimmer found dead, 1 missing after jump off ‘Jaws’ bridge WCVB Boston
- 1 swimmer found dead, 1 still missing after group jumps off ‘Jaws’ bridge on Martha’s Vineyard Yahoo News
- 1 dead, another missing after jumping from notorious ‘Jaws Bridge’: officials New York Post
- One Dead, Search for Second Man Shifted Offshore in Bridge Jump Accident The Vineyard Gazette – Martha’s Vineyard News
- Body of missing swimmer found, second swimmer sought WCVB Channel 5 Boston
- View Full Coverage on Google News