Abusive dad charged with 7-year-old son’s murder

A New Hampshire man has been charged with murder six months after his son tragically died from severe burns and other injuries. Murtadah Mohammad is accused of causing the death of his 7-year-old son, Jaevion Riley, through reckless actions and a failure to seek timely medical assistance. The Manchester Police Department announced the charges on Monday, stating that Mohammad had subjected his son to abusive violence and displayed extreme indifference to his life. The New Hampshire Department of Justice will now handle the prosecution, dropping the previous charges against Mohammad and focusing solely on the murder charge.

Mohammad was already in jail on charges of first-degree assault, second-degree assault, falsifying physical evidence, and endangering the welfare of a child. The Manchester Police Department received a call on January 17th, reporting that a 7-year-old boy had suffered significant burns to his face and body. When officers arrived at the Eastern Avenue home, they found the child unconscious and not breathing. Mohammad initially claimed he had been in the shower and did not witness how his son got hurt. However, authorities discovered inconsistencies in his story, including a lack of evidence that he had recently showered. In a later affidavit, Mohammad admitted to using force and hot water to punish his son.

Jaevion’s mother, Rainah Riley, spoke out about the abuse her son endured. She revealed that Mohammad had gained joint custody of their son a few months prior, despite her reporting signs of abuse, including bruising, to the New Hampshire Division for Children, Youth, and Families (DCYF). Riley expressed frustration with the system, stating that she had requested wellness checks but no action was taken. The DCYF cited state and federal laws regarding child and family confidentiality as the reason for their inaction.

Jaevion remained in a coma for several days at a Boston hospital, with doctors warning his mother that he would have minimal brain function if he woke up. Unfortunately, he never regained consciousness and passed away on January 24th. The investigation into his death, including the autopsy and determining the cause and manner of death, is still ongoing.