Boy, 7, shot in the head during argument about jet skis

A seven-year-old boy from Florida tragically lost his life on July 4 while watching fireworks with his grandfather. The incident occurred at Ben T. Davis Beach in Tampa, where a fight over jet skis escalated into gunfire. The boy, whose identity remains undisclosed, was struck in the head by a stray bullet. Despite being rushed to the hospital in critical condition, he sadly succumbed to his injuries. The grandfather, who valiantly tried to shield his grandson, was also injured in the shooting.

According to witnesses, the altercation began when two groups of Hispanic males engaged in a verbal dispute. The argument escalated after one of the men was confronted about reckless driving near children playing in the water. The confrontation quickly turned into a shootout, with bullets flying indiscriminately. The boy’s grandfather managed to pull him into their truck, but the vehicle was hit by a round of bullets, injuring the grandfather’s finger and fatally striking the child in the head.

Tampa Deputy Chief Calvin Johnson expressed his anger and frustration during a news conference, labeling the shooting as “senseless.” He criticized the shooter for their careless use of a firearm and allowing anger to take control. Johnson emphasized the need for the community to find better ways to resolve conflicts, urging individuals to seek alternatives to violence. He also appealed to the shooter(s) to turn themselves in, highlighting the devastating consequences of their actions.

Police Chief Lee Bercaw extended his condolences to the grieving family and assured them that the Tampa Police Department would tirelessly pursue those responsible. As of Wednesday afternoon, no suspects had been identified.

The shooting at Ben T. Davis Beach on July 4th has left a community in mourning and a family devastated by the loss of a young boy. As the investigation continues, authorities are determined to bring those responsible to justice.