Four Teenagers Wounded in Early Morning Shooting

Chicago police said all four victims were taken to hospitals in good condition.

CHICAGO, IL — Four teenagers were shot and wounded early Sunday in Little Village after officers heard gunfire near the 2500 block of South Washtenaw Avenue, Chicago police said.

The shooting added to a violent stretch in the Southwest Side neighborhood, where police have investigated several recent gun cases. No deaths were reported in Sunday’s shooting, but the victims included three minors and an 18-year-old woman. Detectives were still working to determine what led to the gunfire.

Police said officers were near South Washtenaw Avenue about 3 a.m. when they heard shots. Officers searched the area and found four victims who had been struck. A male gunman ran from the scene before officers arrived, police said. Authorities did not report any arrests Sunday morning. Police said the exact circumstances of the shooting remained unclear.

The victims were all taken to Mount Sinai Hospital in good condition, according to police. An 18-year-old woman was shot in the right buttocks. A 16-year-old girl was shot in the left calf. A 14-year-old boy suffered a graze wound to the right arm. Another 16-year-old girl suffered a graze wound to the right leg. Police did not release the victims’ names.

The shooting happened in Little Village, a dense West Side and Southwest Side community centered around 26th Street, homes, small businesses and neighborhood schools. The area has seen other recent shootings, including an April attack near 26th Street and St. Louis Avenue that killed Antonio Padilla, a father of five, and wounded three women. That earlier case also remained part of a broader public safety concern in the neighborhood.

After the April shooting, Chela Garcia of the Little Village Community Council said the violence shook people who were working and moving through the area in daylight. Garcia said Padilla’s family wanted justice and warned against judging victims by appearance. Police later released surveillance images in that case as investigators searched for suspects.

In Sunday’s case, police had not announced charges, recovered weapons or released a motive by the latest update. Area detectives were leading the investigation. The next steps include reviewing evidence from the scene, checking for surveillance video and trying to identify the gunman who fled on foot.

The case remained open Sunday as all four teenagers were reported in good condition. Police had not announced a suspect description beyond a male gunman, and no further details were immediately released.

Author note: Last updated May 24, 2026.