Hundreds of young adults get into chaotic brawl at the mall, one person stabbed

A disturbance at a store in Emeryville, California, escalated into a chaotic scene of civil unrest on Sunday afternoon, leading to a stabbing and reports of gunshots. Emeryville police were forced to call for backup from neighboring law enforcement agencies during the four-hour incident, which involved hundreds of juveniles engaged in fights. The situation unfolded at the Bay Street Mall, where a group of approximately 50 young adults initially caused a disturbance, prompting police intervention.

At around 4:30 p.m., authorities received a call from a business at the Bay Street Mall reporting the disruptive behavior of a group of young adults. Responding officers arrived at the scene and escorted the individuals out of the store. However, the situation quickly escalated when another group of about 100 young people arrived at the mall around 5:15 p.m. Within the next 30 minutes, an additional 100-150 young adults joined the gathering.

At approximately 5:40 p.m., the first of several fights broke out near the mall’s courtyard area. Despite the officers’ efforts to maintain peace, additional smaller fights erupted. Recognizing the need for assistance, the Emeryville police called for backup from neighboring agencies, including the Berkeley police. The situation took a more dangerous turn when a single gunshot was reported near Bay Street and Ohlone Way at around 5:50 p.m. Fortunately, no victims or suspects were found at the scene.

Around 7 p.m., authorities received a distress call regarding a stabbing near Elm Drive. Upon arrival, officers discovered a juvenile victim and immediately provided aid. The victim was then transported to a nearby hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. Emeryville city officials have confirmed that one person has been arrested in connection with the incidents.

Shoppers at the Bay Street Mall and moviegoers at the AMC theater were evacuated due to the escalating violence. With officers patrolling the area, the majority of the crowds dispersed by 8:30 p.m. Thankfully, there were no further reports of injuries or looting.