Old woman’s arm gets ripped off in deadly carjacking, suspect sentenced to life

NEW ORLEANS, LA – Linda Frickey, a 73-year-old grandmother, met her gruesome end in a carjacking incident that resulted in her arm being ripped off as a gang absconded with her trapped in the vehicle. The horrifying incident occurred on March 21, 2022.

John Honore, an 18-year-old, was implicated as her killer and received a life sentence on Friday. The courtroom allowed for the prospect of parole after 25 years. Frickey’s sister-in-law, Kathy Richard, gave an impassioned message during her testimony. She hoped for the excruciating sound of hellhounds to be Honore’s last auditory experience when he breathed his last.

Court records reveal that prosecutors firmly resisted offering Honore a plea deal. A second-degree murder conviction was asserted by the jury in less than four hours on November 27.

Post-sentencing, Jinnylynn Griffin, Frickey’s sister, voiced her satisfaction with the verdict, labeling Honore as a “demon” and a “punk.” She said she believed divine intervention allowed her sister to pass surrounded by those who cherished her.

Last year’s predatory attack was captured on surveillance footage, which documented the assailants’ aggression as they invaded Frickey’s car. Following the release of the footage by law enforcement, one of the teenage girl’s mothers recognized her daughter and surrendered her to the authorities.

Despite his attorney’s attempts to frame Honore as a na├»ve adolescent unaware of the gravity of his actions, he failed to draw any sympathy from the court. Honore penned an unsuccessful plea to Frickey’s family, begging their forgiveness.

Honore’s accomplices, identified as Briniyah Baker, 17, Lenyra Theophile, 16, and Mar’Qel Curtis, managed to secure plea deals related to manslaughter charges, culminating in 20-year sentences behind bars.

The late grandmother’s husband, Rickey Frickey, filed a lawsuit against the parents of the four teenagers. He claimed they were partially culpable for his beloved wife’s demise. The bereaved husband sought a minimum of $50,000 in damages and posed a poignant question to his wife during his weekly visits to her gravesite: whether it was still possible to believe in her enduring presence.