Pair of 4-year-old twins found dead inside toy chest

JACKSONVILLE, FL- A pair of four-year-old twins lost their lives after suffocating in their cedar toy chest. The twins, Aurora and Kellan, were put to bed by their father, Don Starr, on August 25. However, they later became trapped inside of their toy chest which was typically filled with stuffed animals. Their older brother discovered them the next morning, their arms wrapped around each other, initially believing they were still asleep.

Their mother, Sadie Myers, expressed her grief and confusion over the incident on social media. She highlighted the unique pain of losing two children simultaneously and in such an inexplicable manner. Myers also used her platform to warn other parents about the potential dangers of toy chests, which can become airtight and soundproof when closed.

On the night of the incident, Myers was at work, leaving Starr to put their four children to bed. The twins, who were known to wake up at odd hours and sleep in various places, decided to play with the wooden chest. They removed most of the stuffed animals, leaving a few for cushioning, and fell asleep inside of the container.

When Myers returned home the following morning, she was alarmed to find the twins missing from their beds. The family frantically searched for them until their older brother found them in the chest, unaware that they had passed away. Myers immediately knew something was wrong and quickly realized it was too late.

The Jacksonville Sheriff’s Department responded to the incident, but emergency personnel were unable to save the twins. Authorities have kept details about the tragedy private to respect the family’s privacy. A GoFundMe page set up by Myers’ sister, Deanna, has raised over $17,000 for the family.

According to the non-profit organization Kids in Danger, at least 34 children have died in incidents involving toy chests since 2014, based on data from the US Consumer Product Safety Commission. More than 21,500 toy chests have been recalled since 2005 due to hazards including strangulation, entrapment, injury, and lead poisoning.