Prosecutor Cites Self-Defense in Anderson Father and Son Deaths

Koty Riall and Rodney Riall died May 9 after a late-night fight north of Anderson.

ANDERSON, IN — Madison County prosecutors declined to file murder charges against 41-year-old John Christopher Worley after authorities said he killed Koty Riall and Rodney Riall during a May 9 confrontation at a home north of Anderson.

The decision shifted the case from a double-murder arrest to a disputed self-defense finding, leaving relatives and supporters of the Riall family dismayed. Madison County Prosecutor Rodney Cummings said his office reviewed evidence, witness statements and Indiana law before deciding the current record did not support formal murder charges. The case may be reviewed again if new evidence is found.

Deputies with the Madison County Sheriff’s Department were called around 11:30 p.m. May 9 to the 3000 block of County Road North 200 West, also known as Florida Road, after a witness reported a physical fight. Investigators found Koty L. Riall, 37, dead in a detached garage with multiple wounds from a sharp-edged object. His father, Rodney D. Riall, 58, was found outside between the home and the garage with multiple gunshot wounds. Prosecutors later said, “Based upon the evidence currently available, there is credible evidence supporting a claim of self-defense.”

Worley was taken into custody at the scene and initially booked into the Madison County jail on preliminary murder counts. Court records described a fight between Worley and Koty Riall, with Rodney Riall trying to intervene. A witness told deputies Koty Riall was bleeding heavily from his neck after being stabbed, and investigators said a knife belonging to Worley was found at the scene. While people were trying to treat Koty Riall, witnesses reported hearing four gunshots. Rodney Riall was later found in the grass, and Worley was holding a gun when authorities located him.

Worley told investigators he acted in self-defense and said members of the Riall family had been abusive toward him. Local reports said Worley had been staying on the property before the killings. Those details became central to the public dispute over the prosecutor’s decision, because relatives and supporters questioned how the deaths of two men could end without murder charges. Authorities have not released every piece of evidence reviewed by prosecutors, and the full sequence of who first used force remains disputed in public accounts.

The case began as a death investigation and quickly drew attention across Madison County, a community northeast of Indianapolis where the prosecutor’s office handles major felony cases from local police agencies and the sheriff’s department. The deaths also raised questions about the legal line between homicide and criminal murder charges. Under Indiana law, a killing may be found legally justified if evidence supports that a person reasonably used force to protect against unlawful force. Prosecutors said that standard, combined with the evidence now available, prevented them from moving forward with murder charges.

Cummings said the decision followed a review of witness statements, physical evidence and the law, not a finding that the deaths were unimportant. Prosecutors said the matter could be reconsidered if additional evidence emerges. No formal murder case is now moving through court against Worley in connection with the deaths of Koty and Rodney Riall. Sheriff’s investigators have not said publicly that all questions are resolved, and officials have not announced a separate hearing or briefing tied to the prosecutor’s review.

Family members and supporters have continued to push back against the decision, saying the loss of both men has left them without answers. Public posts and local coverage showed calls for justice for Rod and Koty Riall, while others pointed to Indiana self-defense law and the prosecutor’s finding. The case has put the family’s grief beside a legal decision that turned on what prosecutors believe they can prove in court. For now, the deaths remain recorded as homicides, but prosecutors have not filed murder charges.

The case stood unchanged Tuesday, May 19, with no murder charges filed against Worley. Prosecutors said the next milestone would come only if investigators find new evidence strong enough to reopen the charging decision.

Author note: Last updated May 19, 2026.