GoFundMe for Pieper Lewis set up to support Des Moines teen – Des Moines Register
Pieper Lewis, 17, was sentenced to 10 years in prison for the June 2020 killing of 37-year-old Zachary Brooks. The judge deferred the sentence until Lewis violated any portion of her probation.
Lewis was 15 when she stabbed Brooks more than 30 times in a Des Moines apartment. She said she was forced at knifepoint to go with Brooks to his apartment for sex, and after Brooks had raped her yet again, she grabbed a knife from a bedside table and stabbed Brooks.
Lewis, who earned her GED while being held in juvenile detention, acknowledged that she struggled with the structure of her detention and that her spirit “has been burned” but still glows.
Prosecutors said Lewis failed to take responsibility for the stabbing and left Brooks’ kids without a father. The judge asked Lewis to explain her poor choices that led up to Brooks’ stabbing.
Iowa offers an affirmative defense to victims of crimes if the victim committed the crime under compulsion by another’s threat of serious injury. Prosecutors argued that Lewis waived the affirmative defense when she pleaded guilty to manslaughter and willful injury, because she admitted to acting under compulsion by another’s threat of serious injury.
To learn more about this story, please consider the news outlets listed below to stay in the know.
- GoFundMe for Pieper Lewis set up to support Des Moines teen Des Moines Register
- Judge orders Iowa teen trafficking victim to pay $150K in restitution to family of rapist she killed Fox News
- Iowa teen who killed rapist sentenced, ordered to pay $150K The Associated Press
- Chains Interrupted CEO said Pieper Lewis was following a known path to being trafficked KCRG
- Iowa girl who said she killed the man who raped her receives sentence KCCI
- View Full Coverage on Google News