California judge arrested for murder after his wife was found shot to death

Judge Jeffrey Ferguson, a prominent figure in Orange County’s legal community, was arrested on suspicion of murder after his wife, Sheryl, was fatally shot at least once in their Anaheim Hills residence. The Anaheim Police Department came to the scene shortly after 8 p.m. on Thursday and pronounced Sheryl dead. Judge Ferguson was taken into custody and is being held on $1 million bail. The police haven’t disclosed any additional information regarding the incident.

According to sources cited by the LA Times, a child of the couple was present in the home when the police arrived. Judge Ferguson’s legal career began in 1983 as an Orange County deputy district attorney. Over the years, he rose through the ranks and was eventually named prosecutor of the year four times by the Orange County Narcotics Officers Association. He obtained his law degree in 1982 from Western State College of Law.

In 2017, Judge Ferguson faced disciplinary action from the state Commission on Judicial Performance for making an inappropriate comment about a judicial candidate on Facebook. The commission found that he violated the code of judicial ethics by posting a comment without regard for its truthfulness. Additionally, he remained connected on social media with attorneys appearing before him in court, which was deemed inappropriate.

Sheryl Ferguson, the victim, had previously worked for the Santa Barbara and Orange County Probation Departments before spending nearly two decades with the American Funds Service Co. The couple had resided in their Anaheim Hills home for over 20 years, according to a neighbor who witnessed Judge Ferguson being taken away in handcuffs. The Anaheim Police Department has been contacted for further information.

The arrest of Judge Jeffrey Ferguson on suspicion of murdering his wife has sent shockwaves through the legal community in Southern California. Colleagues and acquaintances are grappling with the tragic turn of events, as the investigation into the incident continues. The motive behind the fatal shooting remains unknown, and authorities are diligently working to uncover the truth.