Upstate New York news anchor suspended after erratic broadcast says she was ‘sleep deprived and exhausted’ – NBC News
Heather Kovar, who worked for CBS affiliate WRGB of Albany, New York, was clearly out of sorts during a 6 p.m. broadcast on Saturday. She stammered and slurred her words as she attempted to deliver the weather newscast.
This CBS6 Albany anchor was suspended after appearing in disarray on air. She also struggled to report on high temperatures and heat waves across certain areas of the country.
When she tried to pass the story along to the meteorologist Craig Gold, she got his name incorrect. She instead called him Craig Adams, who is another CBS weatherman.
Viewers expressing concern over train wreck of local evening newscast out of Albany. Anchor Heather Kovar appeared disheveled, misspoke, and slurred her words for the entire newscast. Here, she tries to set up the weather and toss to the meteorologist, who’s name she gets wrong. pic.twitter.com/70jwwvykKt
— Mike Sington (@MikeSington) July 10, 2022
On Friday, the station notified her she would not be renewing her contract, and that she will remain off-air for the remainder of her contract. She claimed to have been reporting since 6:00 am that morning, and was supposed to continue broadcasting until 11:00 pm. Considering how poorly the 6:00 pm newscast went, another anchor filled in for her later in the day.
Kovar had shared on Twitter that she’d be working a double shift, but it’s unclear if she was referring to herself or the station covering a local music festival. She also stated that her coworker was working a double shift as well.
To watch this newscast, check out the links listed below to see it for yourself.
- Upstate New York news anchor suspended after erratic broadcast says she was ‘sleep deprived and exhausted’ NBC News
- Local New York CBS anchor suspended after appearing in disarray, slurring words on air Fox News
- Albany TV anchor Heather Kovar suspended after slurring through broadcast New York Post
- A local TV news anchor was suspended after slurring and misspeaking. She said she was recently bereaved and exhausted. Yahoo News
- Suspended news anchor Heather Kovar blames slurred broadcast on ‘exhaustion’ New York Post