Wife Charged After Deadly Koreatown Shooting Spree

Police say Ae Son Han helped her husband before the second fatal shooting.

CARROLLTON, TX — The wife of a man accused of killing two people and wounding three others in Carrollton’s Koreatown has been arrested in Minnesota and charged with murder, police said, adding a second defendant to the May 5 shooting case.

Ae Son Han, 67, is accused of aiding her husband, 69-year-old Seung Ho Han, during a pair of shootings tied by police to business disputes. Her arrest shifts the case from one alleged gunman to a broader investigation into what police say happened before, during and after the attacks at K Towne Plaza and an apartment on Old Denton Road.

Carrollton police said the first shooting happened just before 10 a.m. May 5 at K Towne Plaza, near State Highway 121 and West Hebron Parkway. Officers found four adults with gunshot wounds. Sung Rae Cho, 63, died at the scene, and three others were taken to hospitals. While officers were still working that scene, police were called to the 2700 block of Old Denton Road, where Edward Schleigh was found dead inside an apartment. Carrollton Police Chief Roberto Arredondo said earlier that the violence was not random. “It was a known business relationship,” Arredondo said after the shootings.

Investigators said Seung Ho Han later acknowledged shooting all five people and told detectives he was angry about financial disagreements linked to business dealings. Court records cited by local reports say the dispute involved more than $75,000, a sushi restaurant, rent and a Georgia property investment. Police said he was arrested a few miles away near an H Mart after a short foot chase. He is charged with capital murder of multiple persons and three counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. Jail records previously did not list an attorney for him.

The new arrest focuses on what police say Ae Son Han did during the shootings. According to an arrest warrant affidavit described by investigators, she was present at K Towne Plaza when her husband opened fire. A surviving victim, identified in reports as Olivia Kim, told authorities she asked Ae Son Han to call 911. The affidavit says Ae Son Han instead asked why Kim was not dead, then left the market. Police said cellphone data placed the couple together during the shootings. Investigators also said dash camera video showed them traveling from the first crime scene toward the second, where Schleigh was killed.

Authorities said Ae Son Han first denied knowing what had happened, then admitted before ending the interview that she knew her husband had killed people he believed had cheated him out of money. Police said the couple drove to a McDonald’s after the shootings and ordered drinks in the drive-thru. Ae Son Han later went to Minnesota, where she was arrested with help from the U.S. Marshals Service. She remained there after the arrest as Carrollton police worked to bring her back to North Texas.

The shootings shook Carrollton’s Korean American community, where K Towne Plaza and nearby businesses are part of a busy commercial district north of Dallas. The city has about 130,000 residents and more than 4,000 residents of Korean descent. Community leaders gathered after the shootings to mourn the dead and support the injured. John Jun, chairman of the Korean American Coalition’s DFW chapter, said the new allegations brought “additional sad news” because police now allege both spouses were involved. He said more facts were likely to emerge as the case moves through court.

The wounded victims were identified in local reports as Olivia Kim, Yo Sung Kim and Young Yoo. Police said they were expected to survive. Investigators have said the shootings were targeted and tied to business disputes, not a random attack or a hate crime. The first attack unfolded near a Korean market during what police described as a business meeting. The second happened about 4 miles away at the apartment on Old Denton Road. Officers and federal agents later collected evidence across the two scenes as nearby businesses closed or sheltered workers.

Ae Son Han is charged with murder, while Seung Ho Han faces capital murder and aggravated assault charges. Police said her extradition from Minnesota to Texas could take 30 to 90 days. The next major step is her return to North Texas, where court records are expected to show whether she has retained an attorney and when she will make an initial appearance.

Author note: Last updated May 20, 2026.