Deputy shot while serving an eviction notice

UNION CITY, CA – A tense standoff concluded in an industrial area near Dowe Avenue and Alvarado Niles Road in Union City early on Thursday morning. The standoff began when an Alameda County sheriff’s deputy was shot while he was serving an eviction notice.

After concluding the successful operation, Union City police sent out an announcement at approximately 3:30 a.m., proclaiming the situation to be “resolved.” They also assured that there was no imminent threat to the public. However, they did not confirm if the suspect had been taken into custody.

Videos taken at the scene highlighted the strategic use of drones and what seemed to be flash-bang devices to bring the standoff to a conclusion. The operation spanned many hours and was characterized by a large police presence surrounding the building in the industrial park where the shooter appeared to be ensconced.

The incident was initiated at roughly 1:30 p.m. on Wednesday when Alameda County deputies were carrying out the service of an eviction notice in the 33000 block of Dowe Avenue. Unforeseen gunfire struck one of the deputies not long after their arrival on the scene. Alameda Sheriff PIO Captain Tya Modeste admits that they are uncertain if deputies returned fire.

According to a source cited by KPIX, the deputy who was hit had his arm broken in the incident, necessitating surgery. Fortunately, the deputy is anticipated to recover from his injuries.

In a press conference on Wednesday afternoon, Union City police announced that the suspect has not been apprehended but is believed to be within the area in question. He is currently considered to be armed and dangerous.

Law enforcement opened the doors of the aforementioned building and likely searched the inside with a drone as a part of an 11:30 p.m. standoff.

Chopper footage from the scene represented an area north of Alvarado Niles Road, which seemed to be industrial. It showed multiple units from multiple agencies, including Alameda County Sheriff’s Department, Union City, Fremont, Newark, and BART police, including SWAT teams.

During the course of the incident, an unidentified male was witnessed walking with his hands up towards a large cohort of officers with weapons drawn. The man was subsequently handcuffed after lying on the ground. Union City police indicated that some individuals might have been detained as the investigation continues.