Killer accused of luring firefighters into his gas-soaked house in an attempt to murder them

Melvin Jordan, a 47-year-old Chicago resident, is facing attempted murder charges after allegedly luring two firefighters into a home filled with gasoline and brandishing a knife. In addition to the attempted murder charges, Jordan has been charged with aggravated kidnapping, aggravated unlawful restraint, and unlawful use of a weapon, according to the police. Jordan is scheduled to appear in court on Friday for his crime.

The incident occurred on Tuesday afternoon when a battalion chief and a lieutenant responded to a car fire in the garage of Jordan’s residence. After extinguishing the fire, Jordan informed the firefighters that he detected a gas odor in his basement and requested their assistance in investigating. The chief instructed Jordan to lead the way, and as they descended into the basement, Jordan swiftly retreated upstairs, leaving the firefighters puzzled. Upon reaching the top of the staircase, Jordan confronted them with a large knife. Meanwhile, the strong smell of an accelerant filled the air, and the doors of the house were boarded up.

According to Larry Langford, a spokesperson for the Chicago Fire Department, Jordan ordered the firefighters back into the basement. However, they resisted and engaged in a struggle with him. Eventually, the battalion chief managed to use the radio to alert the crews outside and the police. Firefighters broke a window, entered the house, and rescued their colleagues. Meanwhile, Jordan barricaded himself in a bathroom, armed with two knives and an empty gun holster. After expressing a desire to harm himself, he was apprehended when firefighters broke down the door. Jordan was subsequently taken to a hospital for evaluation.

Court records reveal that Jordan had previously been sentenced to 35 years in prison for murder in 2007, with an additional six years for attempted murder to be served consecutively. However, in 2019, he was granted a new trial after arguing that his legal representation had been inadequate. Following the vacating of his conviction, Jordan was released on bond, with a bail set at $450,000. As of now, no date has been set for his new trial.