Mobile home fire kills 7-year-old girl

VALLEY VIEW, TX – A deadly fire that claimed the life of a 7-year-old girl in a mobile home on Wednesday was reportedly due to a space heater. The deadly blaze resulted in the loss of Delena Zuniga’s life, while her father and her 11-year-old brother, who tried to rescue her, suffered burns and were taken to Parkland Hospital.

Following the disaster, Maegan Self, the aunt of the young girl, expressed the family’s grief over the enormous void left by their loss. She shared that the calamity began at around 3:30 a.m. when her nephew woke up to the fire and warned the family.

The mobile home lacked central heating or air, forcing the eight-member family to rely on space heaters. Self believes that one of these heaters sparked the fatal fire. The Cooke County Fire Marshal was unable to provide a status update regarding the fire investigation.

The family, now out of the hospital, is faced with the harsh reality of having lost their home to the fire. The mobile home was ripped apart by the blaze.

Valley View community members have begun supporting the family in their time of need. In Delena’s honor, teddy bears were left at the family’s house and a fundraiser was held for the family. A GoFundMe campaign has also been set up to assist in covering medical costs and securing a new home. Additionally, Valley View ISD announced it would welcome clothing and gift card donations for the stricken family at its elementary school.