Brain fog, other long Covid symptoms can last more than a year, study finds – NBC News
Brain fog, numbness, tingling, headache, dizziness, blurred vision, tinnitus and fatigue are the most frequently reported symptoms of long Covid, according to a new study.
Adults who had a confirmed COVID-19 infection are at greater risk of developing pulmonary embolism or respiratory conditions. They also have higher risk of kidney failure, blood clots, or neurologic conditions.
In a study of patients aged 18 – 64 and 65 years, 38% of case-patients experienced an incident condition compared with 16% of controls.
Northwestern University researchers found that 85 percent of patients with long Covid infections reported at least four lasting neurological problems.
The researchers followed up on 52 patients who had mild Covid symptoms for up to 18 months. They found that most neurological symptoms persisted and still affected their quality of life.
The researchers at Northwestern Medicine studied patients with long-standing COVID-19, a rare disease that causes problems with cognition, heart rate and blood pressure, as well as gastrointestinal problems. They found that some symptoms increased over time, while others improved.
Dr. Avindra Nath said that the inflammation caused by SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes Covid, damages brain cells and neurons.
The morning rundown is a newsletter that lets you know what’s happening in the world.
Dr. Panagis Galiatsatos said continuing to track lasting symptoms is crucial to help experts separate Covid symptoms from the natural healing process.
Find out more about the aftermath of COVID at the following news sources:
- Brain fog, other long Covid symptoms can last more than a year, study finds NBC News
- NIH conducts research in Colorado on long COVID FOX31 Denver
- CDC: 1 in 5 adults have health condition that might be linked to COVID illness WDIV ClickOnDetroit
- Study: COVID patients can experience symptoms 15 months later WGN News
- 1 in 5 Adults May Develop Long COVID Post-Recovery, New CDC Study NBC New York
- View Full Coverage on Google News